Monday, March 17, 2014

SEEING ONE DIRECTION

I know, I know, this is so late and I'm horrible at blogging. Let's all recognise that and move past it onto bigger and more important issues (One Direction).
Pretty much the only thing that matters from the two weeks before Katie was here was the Brit Awards red carpet, and I know that this is the post that everyone (Abby Head, mainly) has been waiting for. I'm writing about my entire experience here and making this a separate post so that people who don't care (probably everyone) don't have to read it unless they want to. If for some reason (I can't think of any) you're reading this and you don't know about my obsession with One Direction, my inner stalker, and the fact that I'm engaged to be married to the one and only Niall Horan, you might have a little catching up to do. Do your research, and come back when you've gotten your mind right.
So February 19th was the day. The Brit Awards 2014. There was a red carpet (obviously) because that's what they do at these things. Alex and I had been talking about attending the Brits basically from the moment we first made eye contact, and we unfortunately missed the ticket sales so we couldn't actually go. Silver lining: the red carpet was still happening and One Direction was confirmed to be attending the Brits. There was no question that we would be there as close as possible to get pictures and see famous people and maybe get breathed on by Beyoncé or something.
So at two in the afternoon we started getting ready for our (kind of) red carpet debut and then set out soon after. I had red lipstick on (duh) and only one hand of nails painted, so I was just as put together as always. It was quite a trek to the dear O2 Arena, but we made it and were only mildly freezing. I wore my beloved cosy tights, so I was fine. We got to the red carpet line around 3:30 (FYI I'm using my message history with Gaylard as my time table for this night, so if the times are super specific that's why) because we are the definition of eager, but a few hundred people beat us there so I didn't feel like too much of a fan girl. We could see the red carpet and all the entrances to the venue, but the section right next to the carpet was gated off and the guards told us that there was a "one out, one in" policy, which meant that we couldn't get in until the number of people in front of us in line had left. I'm gonna be honest, for a while there, it was bleak. I saw sleeping bags and camp sites. These girls had been there for days. What were the chances that enough people for me to get in were gonna leave in time? I've never been more stressed.
After much waiting and getting blown around and screaming for something called Rizzle Kicks (later found out was a pop/rap duo, so I understand), we finally got let into the gated area (at 5:59 p.m. to be exact). Glory. I found my spot. There were two red carpets: a long one where we were all standing and a shorter one where the paparazzi were that you had to have tickets to stand in. From where I was standing, I could see the entirety of our carpet, as well as where people were getting out of cars, and the stage where they were getting interviewed on the VIP carpet. I was in the prime spot. I learned quickly that since this was an awards show for British musicians, I literally knew no one (besides Rita Ora and Jessie J). The girl next to me had to keep explaining the relevance of each person who walked in. I was too excited and I kept thinking everyone was famous. I thought six different camera guys were David Beckham and some random skinny girl with short hair walked down the carpet and I whispered, "Kiera Knightley" to myself (just as weird as it sounds) and earned myself some glares from the British girls around me. It was clear I belonged there (*sarcasm font*). However, the entire time we were there, no celebrities (besides Rizzle Kicks, whoever they are) came over to the carpet we were on. More stress.
The show started at 8, so at about 7:20, I put my heels on because it was game time. All the too-cool-to-show-up-too-early people were gonna get there soon. Still no luck. No one was coming over to where we were and I was giving up on the idea of seeing anybody that I had ever heard of. Daft Punk walked by us at one point, but who even knows what they're about? If I can't see your face you are not important to me, so. Finally, a guy walked down our carpet with a bunch of security guards and I recognised him, but I just could not remember of who he was. I was just thinking to myself, "Where have I seen him before!?" and then it hit me. He was one of One Direction's security guards (before you yell at me for being so incredibly creepy, he had quite a large cameo in their movie which I have seen approximately ten thousand times, so leave me alone) and when I realised it I got weak in the knees. A murmur of recognition swept through the crowd because everyone knew. They were coming.
(I actually feel like I'm narrating a war or something right now, but whatevs).
Since I could slightly see where the cars were pulling up (it was literally a kindergarten drop off line) at the start of the red carpet, I could see what kind of cars were arriving and every time there was a van, people would scream and then realise it wasn't One Direction and then sigh in disappointment (actually hilarious). I figured I would just wait because I could judge by the screams whether or not they were there.
Finally, I saw a van pull up and then something was different. I heard a lone scream. It didn't stop. It was happening. I saw the boys get out of the car and Niall did a lil' hop on his crutches because he's the cutest thing on the face of the planet, so is there any other way for him to get out of the car? Absolutely not. Now that they were there, it was the dilemma of whether they were going to come down and say hi to fans or go straight into the awards show. I couldn't see them after they got out of the car, but I could tell by the screams that they were working their way down our red carpet.
I made about fifteen five-second videos of the red carpet just anticipating their arrival hoping I wouldn't miss anything, but that didn't prove to be a very effective method. So I said to myself, "I'll just wait until I see them to start the video." So I stopped the video, and then looked down the carpet and who do I see with my own two eyes? Zayn "Perfect" Malik. About five feet away from me. Taking selfies. Gracing peasants with the presence of his eyelashes and flawless bone structure. I then proceeded to take the worst video in the history of the world that ended up being in slow motion and it literally looks like I threw my phone up in the air. Then I regained consciousness and who do I see walking towards me? Harry *expletive* Styles. His hair looked clean which was an actual miracle and he was doing something silly like looking for a pen. What a cupcake. If I would've reached out my hand (and crushed the girl in front of me into oblivion) I could've caressed his face. What a lost opportunity. Whatever.
This picture does him literally no justice.
I managed to capture him approaching me in a horrible slow motion video (which you can watch here) before he walked away to find something to write with. I followed him with my eyes and who did he walk up to but my future husband Niall James Horan. In the flesh. At that point, I'm 99% sure I blacked out because I got no pictures of anything because I saw his actual face with my own eyes and entered a state of pure euphoria. His quiff was perfect. His smile was perfect. His face was perfect. His lil' crutches were perfect. The fact that he was ten feet away from me was perfect. I could've cried or screamed or passed out (but I didn't, and that in itself is a miracle). I then noticed that Liam and Louis were there too. Obviously perfect as usual. Harry was the only one who came down in front of where I was, and because they showed up like fifteen minutes before the show started, they didn't have much time before they had to go and get interviewed and find their seats and whatever famous people do at award shows.
Luckily, from where I was standing I could see them get interviewed and talk to two little boys (no idea who they were, but they were living the life I want because they would just chill and do cartwheels until famous people showed up and then they'd high five them so that's the actual dream). I was doing so well at holding myself together like a composed, strong woman, until they walked inside. Niall was the last one to go inside and he turned around and someone on the red carpet said something to him to which he threw back his head and laughed (in the flawless way that only he can) and I just screamed because I couldn't contain my emotions about the fact that I was seeing this happen with my own eyes in real life and it wasn't a dream or a YouTube video.
After they went inside, everyone who was standing at the red carpet left, which was hilarious because everyone around me was saying, "Oh, we're not just here for 1D, we want to see everyone." Yeah, okay, you're all a bunch of liars, so bye.
I really couldn't breathe afterwards and the awards were starting, so we took a picture with the sign and then left because I had to FaceTime G and J Baby and Gaylard and people to scream about this with. I (obviously) got McDonald's on the way home, because what else am I supposed to do after seeing my future husband in real life for the first time? Also I've fallen even more in love with One Direction because they were the only celebrities sweet enough (my babies) to come say hello to their fans who had been there for actually days rather than just going straight to the VIP carpet and inside. But I also wanted to cry for them and hug them and ask them questions about their lives, so I just have a lot of feelings about these few hours.
 The O2 is a cool place and I looked hot, so here, have some pictures.
I've included an HD photo so that you can see what I was dealing with and be really proud of me for not passing out after seeing these angels (are you joking with that face, Zayn? Literally stop) in real life.

Wow, so that was way too long and dramatic so thumbs up if you made it this far. I'm writing another post immediately after this that will be about the other (irrelevant in comparison) things I've gotten up to in the past few weeks. So keep a look out if you want. Love you all too too much.

xx

Also, I'm trying to win a free ride to the airport at the end of my program so I don't have to carry all my bags on public transportation and be a sweaty mess all over the city of London. Basically, all I need is the most Instagram likes on all my pictures with #CISLondon, so if you would like to help me out with that you can do so here.

No comments:

Post a Comment